-->

Sunday, April 22, 2007

They're baaaack!


The cicadas are coming! The cicadas are coming!
I haven't seen or heard any yet but these buggers should be emerging out of the ground very soon, and its kind of exciting!! Last time I saw these guys was the spring of 1990 and I remember they were everywhere and so loud!
Yes, they are edible (though I missed the chocolate covered ones served up in the neighborhood last time, I'm not regretful). I'll take their word on it that they taste like almonds--not a fan of almonds anyways. I'll just add that to my diverse mental databank of "useless knowledge".
I also learned another tidbit this morning involving crickets and temperature. Although I'm sure Brooke already knows this since she knows ways to tell when the weather is about to change even when its a blue and clear sky out, did you know that if you count the number of cricket chirps in 14 seconds and add 40 the result is the within a degree or two of the temperature outside (in Farenheit)?! Thanks to my favorite meteorologist I do now! Thanks Tom!
I love learning bits of trivia like this, even if it only comes in handy when playing trivial pursuit or if I ever make it onto Jeopardy.
Got any good tidbits of useless knowledge?!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Don't even get me STARTED on useless knowledge! I have a million!!


Elephants can't jump

Oscar winner Tommy Lee Jones was the college roommate of former Vice President Al Gore

Murder is the only crime that does not increase during the full moon


Camel's milk never ferments/spoils

Technically speaking, World War II isn't over. There has never been a formal peace treaty between Germany and the Soviet Union

Shall I go on?